What Happens If I Get in an Accident in Another State?

What Happens If I Get in an Accident in Another State?
accident, state, insurance, case, coverage, lawsuit, auto, damages, liable, limits

One of two primary things can happen if you get in an accident in another state:

  1. You file an insurance claim.
  2. You pursue a lawsuit against liable parties.

An attorney from our firm can help with either action. The unique details of your case will determine which approach we will take.

Will My Auto Insurance Policy Cover an Out-of-State Accident?

Yes, your auto insurance policy will apply if your accident happens in a state other than your own. This is because auto insurers account for the realistic possibility of an accident occurring while a motorist travels out of state.

What Coverages Apply When My Accident Happens in Another State?

When an auto accident happens outside of your home state, there are plenty of good questions to ask. One question is: If my home state and the accident-location state have different insurance requirements and laws, which state takes precedence?

When an out-of-state accident happens, generally:

  • Your insurance policy’s coverage limits will rise to meet minimum coverage limits in the state where your accident took place.
  • Your insurance policy’s coverage limits will not decrease to meet a state’s minimum coverage limits that are lower than your state’s.
  • The issue of no-fault or tort insurance coverage will fall to the state where your accident happened.

Florida is a no-fault insurance state. This means that, regardless of who causes the accident, a motorist’s insurer will cover their accident-related medical expenses (up to coverage limits). Other states require the at-fault motorist’s insurance to cover accident victims’ medical expenses—these are called tort states.

If you have a Florida auto insurance policy but have an accident in Alabama (a tort state), the at-fault motorist will be responsible for your medical costs. If you had an accident in Florida, your own insurer would cover your medical expenses up to the coverage limits.

To consult with an experienced car accidents lawyer today, call 855-780-9986

How do I Seek Compensation for an Out-of-State Accident?

Your attorney from our firm can help you decide whether to pursue an insurance claim (with your insurer, the liable driver’s insurer, or both) or a lawsuit. As we craft a strategy for your case, we will consider:

  • Insurance requirements in the state where your accident happened
  • Whether the at-fault motorist has insurance
  • Coverage limits on the insurance policies that apply to your accident
  • Your specific injuries and damages, as this is a key factor in the cost of your damages
  • The total monetary cost of your damages, which will dictate how much money we pursue for you

We cannot develop a legal strategy until we gather all the facts of your case. Once we have those facts, we’ll advise you on how to proceed and start fighting for your financial recovery.

We Hold Insurance Companies True to Their Contracts

Motorists in Florida are required to maintain several types of auto insurance, as the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) explains. Insurance companies, in turn, must honor the policies they issue to motorists. Too often, insurers try to shirk their contractual obligations for their financial gain.

An insurance company may try to avoid paying you by:

  • Claiming that your out-of-state accident is not their responsibility
  • Denying your claim
  • Offering a low settlement value
  • Delaying the claims process
  • Claiming that certain losses are overvalued, nonexistent, or embellished

Insurance companies have lawyers. Have a capable attorney of your own.

We’re Ready to File a Lawsuit at a Moment’s Notice

Our firm employs more than 40 attorneys, each of whom is prepared for trial every time they lead a case. If we file a lawsuit against a motorist or another liable party, we will take the case all the way to court if necessary.

We may file a lawsuit in:

  • The state where your accident happened
  • The state where the liable parties lives

We can review these options and advise you upon examining your case.

How an Attorney Can Help After an Out-of-State Auto Accident

A lawyer from our firm will make your financial recovery their responsibility. Our duties for your out-of-state accident case will include:

  • Reviewing all involved insurance policies: We will coordinate the review of all insurance policies, even if the liable parties are in another state. We will determine exactly what insurance coverage you’re entitled to and whether it will pay for your losses.
  • Calculating and documenting your damages: We will review your financial and non-financial losses to determine how much to request from the liable party.
  • Filing the action that makes the most sense for you: We will consider a lawsuit and insurance claim and recommend the most appropriate action.
  • Leading settlement negotiations: We will demand that those who owe you compensation pay everything they owe. If these parties refuse, we’re willing to proceed to trial.
  • Taking your case to trial, if necessary: The legal team at Bogin, Munns & Munns has won many substantial verdicts at trial. We’ll fight for the verdict you deserve if necessary.

We expect to win your case. We will succeed if you don’t pay any accident-related damages out of your pocket.

Click to contact our Florida Attorneys today

Recoverable Damages in Cases Involving an Out-of-State Accident

You should receive compensation for all accident-related damages, including:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Medical expenses
  • Vehicle repairs
  • Other property expenses
  • Lost income
  • Diminished earning power
  • All other accident-related damages

We can also represent you if your loved one suffered fatal injuries in an out-of-state accident. We offer our condolences and pledge to fight for the justice you deserve.

Submit a Consultation Request form today

Call Bogin, Munns & Munns Today for a Free Consultation About Your Out-of-State Accident – We Can Help

Our firm knows what should happen if you get in an accident in another state. You should get the money you deserve. We’ll work to see that you do.

Call Bogin, Munns & Munns today for your free consultation. Do not wait to call, as we may face a strict deadline for filing your claim or lawsuit. Out-of-state accidents can be unusually complex, and we want to start your case as soon as possible.

Call or text 855-780-9986 or submit our Consultation Request form today



Request a Consultation

Request a consultation by filling out the form below, or call us at 855.780.9986. We have over a dozen offices located in Orlando and across Central Florida. We’re happy to answer any of your questions.