What Is the Difference Between Premises Liability and Slip and Fall?

What Is the Difference Between Premises Liability and Slip and Fall?
property, accident, fall, premises, liability, slip, compensation, munns, claims, accidents

There are differences between premises liability and slip and fall cases, as slip and fall claims are a subsection of premises liability claims. Accordingly, these terms are often used to describe the same thing. However, premises liability is a more general term, and it can be used to describe many different types of accidents – not just accidents that involve falling. 

Ultimately, both situations can involve filing a claim or lawsuit against someone after you are injured on their property. You have the right to expect a reasonable amount of safety when you visit another person’s property. If the property owner neglects their duties, you may be within your rights to seek compensation for your pain and suffering. 

Identifying the Liable Party

Slip and fall accidents can also fall under the umbrella of defective products. For example, if you are working on a ladder while painting someone’s house, and the ladder breaks, the manufacturer of the ladder may be held responsible. 

In this example, the property owner may not be held responsible because someone else caused the accident. The merit of these claims will be determined on a case-by-case basis. 

No matter what legal concept your case falls under, it will basically have the same objective. All these claims are part of the wider field of personal injury law, and they involve seeking compensation after a negligent accident. A lawyer from our firm can help you investigate the nature of your particular accident and identify a liable party. 

To consult with an experienced premises liability lawyer today, call 855-780-9986

Both Invitees and Licensees Can Pursue a Liable Party

If you want to receive compensation for your injuries, you must establish that you had the right to be on the property at the time of your accident. In the state of Florida, a duty of care is generally extended to two parties: licensees and invitees. 

The Florida Bar describes the different types of invitees and licensees that are owed a duty of care:

  • Public invitees: You are on the property as a member of the general public, and your visit serves the intended purpose of the property (like visiting a public park).
  • Business invitees: You are allowed on the property to conduct business with the property owner (like shopping in a grocery store) – your presence can be the result of a direct invitation, or you can be there from an implied invitation.
  • Licensee by invitation: You are an acquaintance of the property owner, and you are there to make a social visit (like a neighbor stopping by for dinner).

A lawyer from our firm can help you determine which party is liable for your accident and pursue compensation by proving their negligence. 

Different Types of Damages You May Recover

When you file a premises liability claim, you can seek damages to help you recoup your financial losses. Additionally, you can collect damages for losses that do not have inherent monetary values. 

Specific recoverable damages may include:

  • Property damage
  • Lost wages
  • Diminished earning abilities 
  • Mental suffering
  • Medical costs
  • Loss of companionship 
  • Physical disfigurements
  • Ongoing aid for permanent disabilities  

When pursuing compensation, it is important to be aware of any legal deadlines that may apply to your case. One such deadline is the statute of limitations for filing lawsuits. You cannot file a lawsuit for your Orlando slip and fall lawyer if you miss the two-year deadline that applies to most personal injury cases. This two-year window begins on the day of your accident, so do not hesitate to call a law firm.

If you wait too long to take action, you could lose your right to compensation.

Click to contact our Florida Attorneys today

Work with the Orlando Personal Injury lawyers at Bogin, Munns & Munns

Here at Bogin, Munns & Munns, we have dedicated our lives to helping accident victims. Over the years, we have had the pleasure of serving countless victims of slip and fall accidents. In fact, our firm was founded right here in Orlando over 40 years ago. 

Above all else, we want you to get the help you need to recover from your injuries so you can continue pursuing your passions and living the life you love. 

Our attorneys can be there to help answer all your legal questions, including questions about the difference between premises liability and slip and fall. 

To learn more about taking legal action with Bogin, Munns & Munns, contact one of our team members today at (407) 578-9696

Call or text 855-780-9986 or submit our Consultation Request form today



Request a Consultation

Request a consultation by filling out the form below, or call us at 855.780.9986. We have over a dozen offices located in Orlando and across Central Florida. We’re happy to answer any of your questions.