Which Work Visa Do I Need for U.S. Immigration?

Which Work Visa Do I Need for U.S. Immigration?
visa, work, visas, workers, applicants, labor, individuals, profeionals, degree, ability

The United States offers a multitude of visa options for individuals seeking to work within its borders, each designed to accommodate different professional levels, skills, and employment scenarios. Choosing the correct work visa is crucial, as it directly impacts your legal status, ability to work, and potential for future residency in the U.S.

Generally, work visa eligibility hinges on factors such as the applicant’s occupation, qualifications, the potential employer’s requirements, and sometimes, the reciprocal treaties between the U.S. and the applicant’s home country. With the right visa, professionals from around the world can pursue their career aspirations in the U.S., contributing to the country’s diverse and dynamic workforce. An Orlando work visa lawyer can help you understand the general criteria for visa eligibility for the first step toward a successful U.S. immigration journey for employment.

Non-Immigrant Work Visas That You May Qualify For

Non-immigrant work visas offer individuals the opportunity to live and work in the United States for a temporary period. These visas cater to a wide range of professionals, from those with specialized skills and extraordinary abilities to intra-company transferees and seasonal workers.

H-1B Visas

The H-1B visa is designed for specialty occupations that require the application of highly specialized knowledge, along with a bachelor’s degree or higher in the specific specialty. Applicants may also hold the equivalent of said degrees.

This visa category included industries such as IT, finance, engineering, and medicine, where skilled professionals are in high demand. To be eligible for an H-1B visa, applicants must have an employer in the U.S. willing to sponsor them, possess at least a bachelor’s degree related to the job, and the job itself must qualify as a specialty occupation.

L-1 Visa: Intra-Company Transferees

The L-1 visa facilitates the transfer of key employees within multinational companies, allowing them to relocate to the U.S. to work in an affiliated office. The L-1A visa is designated for managers or executives, while the L-1B is for employees with specialized knowledge. Employers must show that they have a relationship with the foreign company (that also meets requires established by the USCIS) and the ability to support the employee in the U.S.

Employees need to have worked for the company overseas for at least one year in a row during the three years before applying.

 O-1 Visa

The O-1 visa is reserved for individuals of extraordinary ability or achievement in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, as well as those with a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry.

To qualify, applicants must demonstrate national or international acclaim and recognition in their fields through extensive documentation. This might include awards, memberships in associations that demand outstanding achievement, published material about them, and significant contributions to their field.

Additional Non-Immigrant Visas

Other non-immigrant visas, such as H-2A, H-2B, E-1, and E-2, cater to specific employment needs and international agreements, offering varied opportunities for work in the U.S.

The H-2A visa allows agricultural employers to bring foreign nationals to the U.S. to fill temporary agricultural jobs, addressing seasonal labor shortages. The H-2B visa, on the other hand, is for non-agricultural positions, such as in hospitality or construction, also for temporary or seasonal needs when there are not enough U.S. workers to fill these roles.

The E-1 treaty trader and E-2 treaty investor visas facilitate trade and investment between the U.S. and countries with which it has a treaty of commerce and navigation. E-1 visa holders must carry out substantial trade between the U.S. and the treaty country, while E-2 visa holders must make a significant investment in a U.S. business.

Each of these visa categories has unique eligibility criteria, focusing on the nature of the work or investment and the applicant’s nationality, ensuring a diverse range of international talent and entrepreneurship in the U.S. economy.

To consult with an experienced immigration lawyer today, call 855-780-9986

Green Cards for Employees

Immigrant work visas are also called green cards, and these visas allow immigrants to work permanently in the U.S. Some of the visas that may apply to you include:

EB-1 Visa

The EB-1 visa category is designed for priority workers with extraordinary abilities, outstanding professors and researchers, and certain multinational managers and executives. Individuals with extraordinary abilities must demonstrate national or international acclaim through extensive documentation, such as awards, publications, and significant contributions to their field.

Outstanding professors and researchers are required to show international recognition for their academic achievements. Multinational executives and managers need to work for a company outside the U.S. for at least one year in the three years before applying, and they must plan to come to the U.S. to keep working for the same company.

EB-2 Visa

The EB-2 visas are available to professionals who hold advanced degrees, as well as individuals with exceptional ability in businesses, arts, or the sciences. Applicants must possess a job offer from a U.S. employer and a labor certification. This certificate should demonstrate that there are no U.S. workers who are qualified and available for the position.

Advanced degree holders must have a degree beyond a bachelor’s, typically a master’s or its equivalent, while individuals with exceptional ability must show a “degree of expertise significantly above that ordinarily encountered.” The labor certification process involves a rigorous test of the labor market conducted by the Department of Labor to ensure the protection of U.S. workers’ wages and working conditions. 

EB-3 Visas

The EB-3 visa category caters to three groups: skilled and unskilled (other) workers and professionals. Skilled workers must have at least two years of job experience or training, professionals are required to hold a U.S. baccalaureate degree or a foreign equivalent, and other workers include those performing unskilled labor requiring less than two years of training or experience.

Eligibility hinges on having a permanent, full-time job offer and undergoing a labor certification process to ensure that hiring a foreign worker will not adversely affect U.S. workers.

EB-4 Visas

The EB-4 visa category is reserved for “special immigrants,” encompassing a diverse group such as religious workers and certain armed forces members, among many others.

EB-5 Visas

The EB-5 visa offers permanent residency to foreign investors who invest $900,000 in specific areas or $1.8 million in other areas, in a business that must create or save jobs for U.S. workers. This program helps grow the U.S. economy by creating jobs and bringing in investment from abroad.

Let Our Immigration Lawyers Help You Apply for the Right Work Visa

Here at Bogin, Munns, & Munns, we aim to help immigrants make the United States their temporary or permanent home. We know just how difficult this process can be, and the requirements can be overwhelming. Give us a call now to see how we can help you get started with your work visa today.

Call or text 855-780-9986 or submit our Consultation Request form today



Request a Consultation

Request a consultation by filling out the form below, or call us at 855.780.9986. We have over a dozen offices located in Orlando and across Central Florida. We’re happy to answer any of your questions.