Can an Immigration Lawyer Help You Get a U.S. Visa?

Can an Immigration Lawyer Help You Get a U.S. Visa?
immigration, visa, lawyer, status, country, attorney, stay, work, case, individuals

An immigration lawyer can help you get a U.S. visa because they understand how to navigate complicated and constantly changing immigration laws. Trying to obtain a visa alone can often be challenging and overwhelming. With something as crucial as your immigration status at stake, it might benefit you to work with an immigration attorney who can guide you through the process.

What Does an Immigration Attorney Do?

U.S. lawmakers regularly update America’s immigration laws, making an already confusing system even more challenging—especially for someone unfamiliar with the immigration process. An immigration lawyer can use their legal knowledge and experience to stay abreast of the latest developments and ensure you present the strongest case possible for your visa application. 

A Florida immigration attorney with our firm can also take care of case-related tasks and red tape, relieving you and your family of the burdens and stress the application process may cause. We can assist with the following:

  • Explaining your rights and responsibilities 
  • Understanding U.S. immigration law and how it applies to your case
  • Reviewing and filing your visa application
  • Gathering and preparing documents and case paperwork
  • Working with employers or sponsors to strengthen your immigration claim
  • Tracking and adhering to deadlines
  • Communicating with involved parties on your behalf
  • Preparing you for official interviews, meetings, or hearings
  • Representing you in immigration court when necessary
  • Answering your questions and responding to your concerns
  • Providing regular updates regarding the status of your immigration case

To consult with an experienced immigration lawyer today, call 855-780-9986

What Can an Immigration Lawyer Help With?

There are several visa categories, various immigration statuses, and other immigration issues an experienced immigration attorney can assist with.

Nonimmigrant Visas

Nonimmigrant visas admit individuals wanting to enter the country temporarily—usually for education or work. You can also seek a nonimmigrant visa for the following reasons:

  • Business
  • Tourism
  • Medical treatment
  • Intercultural exchange 

The type of nonimmigrant visa you apply for and the supporting evidence you provide with the application will depend on your reasons for coming to the U.S. An immigration lawyer can help you identify the proper visa for your needs and complete the appropriate paperwork. 

Immigrant Visas

Immigrant visas are for those who want to relocate to the U.S. permanently. They are available to the following individuals:

  • Specific family members of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents
  • Spouses of U.S. citizens
  • Individuals engaged to a U.S. citizen
  • Children being adopted by U.S. citizens

Some immigrants (and their families) can seek permanent immigrant status based on their job skills. According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), these immigrants can seek a work visa:

  • Individuals with “extraordinary” abilities in education, business, science, art, athletics, and research
  • Individuals with advanced degrees
  • Multinational managers and executives
  • Skilled workers
  • Religious workers
  • Employees of U.S. foreign service posts
  • Business investors

An immigration lawyer with our firm will determine whether you qualify for an immigrant visa based on your family relationships or work skills. Then, we will help you obtain and submit the necessary documents to prove your eligibility requirements. 

Green Cards

A “green card” is a photo ID card that proves you have lawful permanent resident status in the U.S. If you entered the country on an immigrant visa, you should receive your green card via mail shortly after your arrival. 

If you came to the U.S. on a temporary visa and want to remain in the country permanently, you must do the following:

  • Apply for a change of status
  • Become a lawful permanent resident
  • Obtain a green card

An immigration lawyer can guide you through the process of getting a family-based green card or one based on your employment or education. 


Suppose you are a lawful permanent resident and want to become a naturalized U.S. citizen. In that case, an immigration lawyer can help you file naturalization papers and explain the program requirements and your responsibilities. You must also pass a naturalization test.

Asylum and Refugee Visas

Is it unsafe for you to return to your home country? Or you are the victim of a crime or human trafficking? Then, you could seek refugee or asylum status to stay in the United States.

Thousands of refugees and asylum seekers apply to enter the U.S. annually. However, securing this type of visa can become complicated. An experienced immigration lawyer from our firm can manage your asylum or refugee case.


An immigration lawyer could protect your rights if your status in the U.S. becomes threatened. We can assist with removal proceedings, USCIS hearings, and other immigration issues, including the following:

  • Employment violations
  • Failure to depart the country per your current visa’s terms
  • Asylum denial
  • Criminal convictions
  • Immigration fraud

How Long Can an Immigration Lawyer Help You Stay in the Country?

How long you can stay in the U.S. on a visa depends on your visa type. For example, your visa may only last six months if you are in the country for business or to perform seasonal work. However, a working registered nurse may stay as long as three years. 

If you have a green card, you usually must renew it every 10 years—however, this does not mean you need to reprove your status. 

You mustn’t overstay the terms of your visa. Doing so could lead to deportation proceedings and bar you from reentry for up to 10 years. Instead, seek the help of an immigration attorney if you want to extend your stay. 

Click to contact our Florida Attorneys today

Contact Bogin, Munns & Munns for Help from a U.S. Immigration Attorney

Do not leave something as critical as your right to stay in the country up to chance. Reach out to Bogin, Munns & Munns today for a free consultation and learn more about how an experienced immigration attorney with our firm can help you get a U.S. visa. 

In addition, we can help you resolve other common immigration issues. So, connect with a Florida immigration lawyer near you today.

Call or text 855-780-9986 or submit our Consultation Request form today



Request a Consultation

Request a consultation by filling out the form below, or call us at 855.780.9986. We have over a dozen offices located in Orlando and across Central Florida. We’re happy to answer any of your questions.