Who Can Sponsor a Relative for Immigration to the U.S.?

Who Can Sponsor a Relative for Immigration to the U.S.?
immigration, sponsor, relative, family, relatives, citizens, sponsors, united, states, support

In the realm of U.S. immigration, sponsorship stands as a pivotal gateway for family members seeking to build a new life in the United States. This process, deeply embedded within family-based immigration policies, allows U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents to bring close relatives to the country, reinforcing the familial bonds across borders. Sponsorship is more than just an application; it’s a commitment to support your relative’s journey and settlement in the U.S., ensuring they have the necessary financial backing and a stable home.

U.S. citizens and permanent residents can sponsor certain relatives for immigration to the U.S., including spouses, children, and siblings, under specific conditions. Given the complexity and legal nuances of immigration law, consulting an Orlando family immigration lawyer can help you better understand the process. A lawyer can provide insight and make the process easier.

Eligibility Criteria for Immigration Sponsors

To sponsor a relative for immigration to the United States, individuals must meet several key criteria:

  • The sponsor must either be a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident.
  • Sponsors must be at least 18 years old, highlighting the necessity for maturity and responsibility in undertaking such a commitment.
  • Financial stability is another crucial requirement. Sponsors must provide proof of sufficient income or assets to support the immigrant, ensuring that the relative will not become dependent on government assistance. This involves submitting an Affidavit of Support, a document that legally binds the sponsor to financially support the relative for a period of time.
  • Moreover, sponsors must live in the United States or its territories. This means they must live in the U.S. or have concrete plans to return if they currently reside abroad.

To consult with an experienced immigration lawyer today, call 855-780-9986

Relatives Who May Be Eligible for Sponsorship

In the U.S. immigration framework, the types of relatives eligible for sponsorship fall into two primary categories: immediate relatives and family preference categories.

Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens enjoy a special status that exempts them from waiting for an available visa number. This group includes spouses, unmarried children under the age of 21, and the parents of U.S. citizens, provided the citizen sponsor is at least 21 years old. These relationships prioritize closeness and immediate familial connections, facilitating a more streamlined immigration process.

Family preference categories expand eligibility to a wider pool of relatives. This includes:

  • Unwed children of U.S. citizens and their children
  • Spouses and unwed children (both under and over 21) of permanent residents
  • Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, along with their spouses and children
  • Siblings of U.S. citizens, also including the siblings’ spouses and minor children.

These categories recognize the importance of reuniting extended family members, although they are subject to caps and longer wait times due to visa limitations.

Visas that Relatives May Be Eligible For

While not a complete list of family visas, here are some common visas your loved ones may be eligible for:

  • Immediate Relative Visas (IR): These are for certain immediate relatives, and there are five distinct types of IR visas—these cover spouses and children, including children adopted in the U.S. or abroad. There are also conditional resident (CR) visas for sponsors who have been married to their overseas spouse for less than two years.
  • Family Preference Immigrant Visas: There are five family preference visas, as well. The relation to the sponsor, as well as the sponsor’s immigration status, will determine which type of visa the immigrant applicant will qualify for. These include F1, F2A, F2B, F3, and F4 visas.
  • The Fiancé(e) Visa: Officially known as the K-1 visa, this allows non-citizens engaged to U.S. citizens to travel to the United States to marry their U.S. sponsor within 90 days of arrival. Foreign nationals can apply for permanent resident status (a green card) in the U.S. after they are married.

Each category is subject to different requirements and waiting times, depending on the visa bulletin and annual caps imposed by U.S. immigration law.

Applying to Sponsor a Relative

The application process for sponsoring a relative to immigrate to the United States is initiated by filing the Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130). This critical step is where the U.S. citizen or permanent resident sponsor formally requests the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to recognize their relationship with the foreign relative. The form requires detailed information about both the sponsor and the beneficiary, aiming to establish the legitimacy of their familial connection.

Providing evidence of the relationship is a cornerstone of the application process. This involves submitting documents such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, and other legal documents that verify the familial ties claimed in the petition. 

Additionally, sponsors must fulfill financial obligations by submitting an Affidavit of Support (Form I-864). This legal document is a testament that the sponsor has adequate financial resources to support the relative in the United States, ensuring the immigrant does not become a public charge. The affidavit binds the sponsor to financially assist the family member for a period, underscoring the sponsor’s commitment to the immigrant’s well-being in the U.S.

Click to contact our Florida Attorneys today

What Are the Obligations and Responsibilities of Sponsors?

Sponsors who undertake the responsibility of bringing a relative to the United States are bound by legal obligations and responsibilities, primarily centered around financial support. The core of these obligations is to ensure that the sponsored relative does not become a public charge, which means they should not depend on government assistance for their livelihood. Sponsors legally commit to providing the necessary financial support to maintain the sponsored relative at an income that is at least 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.

This commitment is not taken lightly; it is enforceable until the sponsored immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, can be credited with 40 quarters of work (approximately 10 years), dies, or permanently leaves the United States. Failure to meet these financial obligations can lead to legal consequences for the sponsor, including the possibility of being sued by the government or the immigrant for support. 

Submit a Consultation Request form today

Challenges When Sponsoring a Relative

Sponsoring a relative for U.S. immigration often entails navigating through a maze of legal complexities and facing the challenge of prolonged waiting periods, especially for family preference categories where visa availability is subject to annual caps. These waiting times can extend for years, causing uncertainty and separation for families.

To mitigate these challenges, sponsors and their relatives are encouraged to maintain open communication with immigration attorneys, who can provide updates, guidance, and strategies for dealing with the legal intricacies of the process. Staying informed about policy changes and exploring all possible legal avenues, such as checking for other visa options, can also alleviate some of the stress associated with these waiting periods and the overall sponsorship journey.

When Sponsoring a Relative for Immigration, Call an Attorney

Navigating the complexities of U.S. immigration and family sponsorship can be daunting. The experienced immigration lawyers at Bogin, Munns & Munns are here to guide you through every step, ensuring a smoother process for you and your loved ones. Don’t navigate this journey alone; call Bogin, Munns & Munns today for assistance from our immigration lawyers.

Call or text 855-780-9986 or submit our Consultation Request form today



Request a Consultation

Request a consultation by filling out the form below, or call us at 855.780.9986. We have over a dozen offices located in Orlando and across Central Florida. We’re happy to answer any of your questions.