Boat and watercraft accidents can be a result of many negligent acts or omissions. In order for a watercraft or boat accident to be deemed “reportable,” it must meet at least one of the five following criteria:
- A vessel is “totaled.”
- A minimum of $2,000 aggregate property damage to the involved vessel(s) or other involved property.
- The disappearance of a person with circumstances that would indicate possible injury or death.
- A person’s death.
- Injury to a person that requires more than immediate first aid.
If you are ever involved in a reportable boating accident in Florida, you are legally obligated to follow these steps:
- Stop your boat or watercraft at the accident scene unless doing so would pose a danger to yourself, others on the boat, or the boat itself.
- Assist any injured parties involved.
- Give your contact information, including name, address, and boat ID number, to the operator of the other boat or watercraft and owner of any damaged property.
The boating accident report must be made to one of the following Florida agencies:
- The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC)
- The police department for the municipality of the accident scene, or
- The accident scene’s local Sheriff’s Office
The deadline for filing a boating accident report depends upon the circumstances of the accident. If there is only property damage or damage to the vessel, the report may be filed within 10 days of the accident. However, if there was a personal injury or death (either at the scene or if an injured party were to die within 24 hours of the boat accident) the accident report must be filed within 48 hours.
To consult with an experienced boating accident lawyer serving Orlando, call 855-686-6752
We have 13 locations throughout Florida. We are pleased to serve your legal needs in the location that is most convenient to you. Our offices are located in Orlando, Clermont, Cocoa, Daytona, Gainesville, Kissimmee, Leesburg, Melbourne, Ocala, Orange City, St. Cloud, Titusville, and The Villages Our Trial team of attorneys work aggressively and diligently to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve from injuries due to a boating accident.
If you are ready to move forward with your accident/injury case, then the following form will help us expedite your claim. After this form is completed, you can expect a quick response from our team to schedule you for your consultation with an attorney. We are happy that you would consider us for handling your injury claim and for all of your legal needs.