Experienced Orlando Scooter Accident Lawyers That Can Win For You
If you suffered harm in a scooter accident, you might be entitled to financial compensation. Electric scooters, or e-scooters, are becoming increasingly more popular around Orlando and other Florida cities. Although these vehicles can be an eco-friendly, enjoyable mode of transportation, they are not without risk. Injuries to scooter riders as well as non-riders are common. Scooter-related injuries may result in significant medical expenses and other costs.
If you sustained injuries because of a scooter, an Orlando scooter accident lawyer from Bogin, Munns & Munns may be able to help you recover financial compensation for your damages. Call our office today at (407) 578-9696 and schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with an Orlando personal injury lawyer to discuss your legal options.
To consult with an experienced scooter accident lawyer serving Orlando, call 855-780-9986
Injuries Sustained While Riding an E-Scooter
E-scooters are the latest trend in urban travel. Unfortunately, many people underestimate the risk that these innovative vehicles carry. Scooters cannot reach the same speeds as a typical passenger vehicle, but this does not mean that serious injuries are not possible.
In fact, scooter riders may be even more prone to severe injuries than those riding in a car because the scooter itself offers no protection to the rider in the event of a collision. A study published in Jama Network Open found that just under a third of individuals who visited the emergency room for scooter-related injuries suffered fractures, and over 40 percent sustained head injuries.
Scooter injuries can occur from a number of issues, including:
- Inadequate scooter maintenance. Scooters that are available for rental may not undergo regular maintenance. Flaws within the steering mechanism, brakes, wheels, or other parts of the scooter may result in avoidable scooter accidents.
- Malfunctioning scooters. Defects in the design or manufacture of scooters can cause them to be unreasonably unsafe.
- Road hazards. Issues like potholes, uneven pavement, and loose gravel may cause a scooter rider to crash and become seriously hurt.
- Inexperienced riders. Scooters take some getting used to, and inexperienced riders can cause injuries to themselves and others.
- Distracted driving. Since it is not a typical motor vehicle, some people assume that it is safe to text and drive or otherwise drive a scooter while distracted. In addition, distracted drivers operating passenger vehicles may cause severe or even fatal accidents if they collide with an individual on a scooter.
- Driving under the influence. Scooter drivers who are intoxicated put themselves and other scooter riders in danger of serious accidents. Drunk drivers operating passenger vehicles can cause catastrophic injuries to scooter riders.
Scooter Injuries for Non-Riders
Many people have voiced concerns about scooter accidents. Not only do scooter riders get hurt, but non-riders also suffer injuries because of scooters. Scooter riders who are not paying attention or who do not know how to safely navigate sidewalks may collide with a pedestrian or cyclist, causing them serious harm.
They may drive the scooter too fast, fail to yield to pedestrians, ignore traffic signals, operate the scooter against regulations, or otherwise act negligently. Scooters that get left on sidewalks and walkways also present trip and fall hazards to pedestrians.
Orlando Scooter Accident Lawyer Near Me 855-780-9986
Liability for Scooter Injuries
The question of legal responsibility for scooter accidents can be difficult to answer. Some scooters are privately-owned, while others are available for rental from a company. Scooter rental companies like Lyft, Bird, Jump, Bolt, Lime, and Spin allow individuals to rent scooters through an app. In some cases, the rental company is liable for injuries caused to scooter riders and non-riders.
Liability for scooter injuries may lie with other parties as well. If a scooter injury occurs because of inadequate sidewalk or road maintenance, the city or town may be responsible for the scooter injuries. Meanwhile, if a passenger vehicle collides with a scooter, the driver may be liable for damages the scooter rider sustains.
Since scooters are a relatively new form of transportation, there is quite a bit of gray area when it comes to liability for scooter accidents. This is one reason that it is important to work with a lawyer if you because injured in a scooter accident.
Speak with an Orlando scooter accident lawyer from Bogin, Munns & Munns to learn about your legal options following a scooter accident. We can help you determine who is liable for your damages and how best to pursue compensation. Call our office today at (407) 578-9696 and schedule your free consultation.
Shared Fault for Orlando Scooter Injuries
Your own actions may have contributed to your scooter accident in some way. For example, you may have been looking at your cell phone or otherwise not paying attention at the time of the accident. In this case, Florida law follows a legal doctrine called “comparative fault” in personal injury claims, based on Florida Statutes § 768.81. This means that you may still be entitled to partial compensation even if you contributed to or worsened your injuries in some way.
Click to contact our Orlando Scooter Accident Lawyers today
Damages in a Scooter Accident Case
The financial costs associated with a scooter accident can be significant. Through a personal injury claim, you may be entitled to financial compensation for the following:
- Medical expenses, including ambulance fees, hospital bills, and prescription medication costs.
- Future and on-going medical costs resulting from your injuries
- Your lost wages from missed work
- Any impairment to your income earning capacity
- Damage to your personal property
- Your physical pain and suffering
- Out-of-pocket expenses caused by the scooter accident
Submit a Consultation Request form today
Get Legal Help from an Orlando Scooter Accident Lawyer
Navigating the complicated Florida legal system on your own can be a major challenge —especially when you are still recovering from a serious injury. For help with your scooter accident claim, contact Bogin, Munns & Munns. We can help you:
- Determine who is liable for your injuries.
- Gather evidence to support your case, including eyewitness statements, physical evidence, photograph and video evidence, and police reports.
- Communicate with the scooter rental company, insurance companies, and other parties involved in your case.
- Identify all of your damages and determine how much compensation you may be able to receive.
- Negotiate with the defendant in an effort to obtain a favorable settlement.
- File a personal injury lawsuit.
Contact Bogin, Munns & Munns Today
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a scooter accident, contact an Orlando scooter accident lawyer to get the legal guidance you need. Call our office today at (407) 578-9696 and schedule a free, confidential consultation. Bogin, Munns & Munns may be able to take your case on a contingency fee basis. This means that you do not pay a fee unless we are able to successfully obtain financial compensation for you.