While boating can be very enjoyable, it can also be very dangerous. According to the United States Coast Guard, there were over 2,500 injuries and more than 600 fatalities caused by boating accidents in the U.S. alone in 2019. The reality is that even an experienced captain, vessel owner, or operator can make mistakes that put you or a loved one in danger of harm. If you suffered in any way from a boating accident caused by another party, you might have legal options available.
Some victims can recover compensation for losses by filing a legal claim. A Gainesville boating accident lawyer can fight for you. To learn more, call (352) 332-7688 today and a team member with Bogin, Munns & Munns can answer your questions during a free, no-obligation consultation.
Possible Causes of Your Boating Accident
Boating accidents in the United States are more prevalent than you might expect. According to the United States Coast Guard, over 4,000 recorded accidents caused millions of dollars in property damage in 2019.
If you suffered in a boating accident, you are not alone. Understanding the potential causes of your accident can help you understand if someone else may have been negligent or made an error that ultimately led to your injury. Some common causes of boating accidents include:
- Poor Conditions: If the water is too rough or if visibility is poor, it is probably not a good idea to launch a boat into poor conditions. If a boat operator’s poor judgment put you at risk, another party may be liable for your accident and resulting injuries.
- Mechanical Error: Like vehicles, boats and other watercraft need to be inspected frequently to make sure they are in working order. Failure to properly inspect a boat or watercraft can lead to mechanical issues that put passengers in danger of injury. It is the responsibility of the owner or operator of a vessel to be sure their craft is safe before embarking on a journey.
- Intoxication: Operating a boat under the influence of drugs or alcohol is dangerous, and certain levels of intoxication are illegal. If your accident involved substance abuse of any form, you could have a valid legal case.The United States Coast Guard reported alcohol as the leading cause of boating accidents annually in the U.S., contributing to over 20 percent of fatalities on the water.
- Distractions: A boat excursion may come with many distractions. Unfortunately, distractions at the wrong time can have devastating repercussions. If the operator of a boat or vessel was distracted at the time of your accident, they could be at fault.
- Failure To Take Appropriate Safety Measures: There are many actions a captain can take to keep passengers safe. Making sure there are an adequate amount of life vests, for example, is a key element for safety. If the operator or owner of a boat failed to take effective safety measures prior to your accident, you could have grounds to take legal action as a result of their negligence.
To consult with an experienced boating accident lawyer serving Gainesville, call 855-686-6752
Common Types of Boating Accidents
Boating accidents can happen in many different ways on a variety of watercraft. Common types of accidents include:
- Slipping and falling on board or on a dock
- Falling overboard
- Propeller accidents
There are many different types of accidents you can experience while boating and everyone on board undertakes a certain amount of risk when choosing to go boating. That being said, it is the responsibility of the operator and crew to keep passengers safe. If you were injured in an accident, you could be suffering in several ways.
Gainesville Boating Accident Lawyer Near Me 855-686-6752
Injury, Suffering, and Losses
Boating accidents can leave you with devastating injuries, emotional trauma, and financial loss. Some injuries can take a long time to recover from and can affect your life for weeks, months, or years. While nothing can make up for your suffering, it may be possible to recover compensation for your various losses by filing a claim.
A Gainesville boating accident lawyer can help you understand who may be at fault for your accident based on Florida law. To learn more, contact a team member from Bogin, Munns & Munns by calling (352) 332-7688.
Depending on your accident, you could be eligible for different types of compensation following a successful legal claim. This might include:
- Reimbursement for past and present medical expenses such as doctor visits, medications, and more
- Compensation for emotional suffering
- Lost wages if you were injured in a way that affected your employment status
- And more
Nothing can change the fact that you experienced suffering in a traumatic event such as a boating accident, but it may be possible to seek a recovery for your losses. While the legal process may seem complex, a lawyer can help you with every step of your claim. If you are interested in learning more about your options, a lawyer can help.
According to Florida Statutes § 95.11, you have up to four years to begin the process of filing your personal injury claim. We recommend speaking with a lawyer as soon as possible to keep your legal options open.
Complete a Request a Consultation form now
Getting Legal Help
If you or a loved one was the victim of a boating accident, there is a high likelihood that you are suffering in many different ways. Your daily routine and life as you know it can be impacted by painful injuries, limited mobility, financial stress, and more. During this difficult time, remember that you have legal options. If another party caused your accident and injuries, you could seek compensation through the legal process.
A Gainesville boating accident lawyer can stand by your side in your fight for justice. At Bogin, Munns & Munns, we may be able to help. Pick up the phone and call (352) 332-7688 before it is too late.