Social Security Disability (SSD) is made up of two programs:
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), which can cover expenses from an injury or illness
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI), which will aid you if you need assistance paying for your daily needs
If you qualify for one or both benefits but your application was denied, a Gainesville Social Security Disability lawyer from Bogin, Munns & Munns will handle your SSDI or SSI claim. Our team will help you navigate the appeals process and seek the benefits that you deserve.
What Is Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)?
Social Security Disability is an umbrella term for two programs: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
Social Security Disability Insurance is the primary type of disability benefit for injured or ill Americans. The SSA oversees SSDI claims. It generally pays a fixed amount each month based on the extent of your disability.
Who Can Collect SSDI?
As the SSA notes, you can generally collect SSDI benefits if:
- You have an SSA-approved injury or illness.
- You have worked enough years to qualify for SSDI benefits.
- You have paid Social Security taxes on your income.
- You have worked recently enough to qualify for SSDI benefits.
More specific requirements include:
- You have earned 20 work credits in the last ten years of your life.
- You have an ailment expected to last for the next year or to result in your death.
- You are unable to complete “substantial gainful activity”—that is, to earn approximately $1,350 per month as a non-blind individual.
What Is Supplemental Security Income (SSA)?
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is another type of disability benefit. Rather than considering your work history, the SSA pays SSI based on financial need. The SSA may increase the maximum SSI benefit to match the rising costs of living. In 2022, the maximum annual SSI benefits are:
- For an eligible individual: $10,092.40
- For an eligible individual with an eligible spouse: $15,136.93
- For an essential person: $5,057.77
You may be eligible for both SSDI and SSI benefits. SSDI and SSI benefits are hardly a simple subject to grasp, however.
Though these criteria seem straightforward enough, the SSA may initially deny a claim. If you are in this situation, our attorneys can help you understand your next steps to appeal or submit a new application. A Social Security Disability lawyer from Bogin, Munns & Munns can be with you through every step after a denial. We proudly serve those in Gainesville who are unable to work and earn. Let us help you.
To consult with an experienced social security disability lawyer serving Gainesville, call 855-780-9986
How Do You Apply for SSDI or SSI Benefits?
The application process for SSDI and SSI benefits can be lengthy and complicated. The SSA requires the following information to process your application, including:
- Your personal information: You’ll need to submit your name, your minor children’s names, your Social Security number, address, marriage and divorce information, and other personal details.
- Your banking information: If you seek an electronic deposit of benefits, you’ll need to provide your account and routing numbers.
- Work-related details: Work history is central to your eligibility for SSDI benefits. You’ll need to submit certain employer information, details of any workers’ compensation benefits you’ve received, and other professional details.
- Medical information: You may have to submit proof of the injuries or illness you’re seeking SSDI benefits for.
The SSA notes that, in certain cases, applicants must undergo “special” medical examinations or tests.
Is It Difficult to Obtain Social Security Disability Benefits?
Obtaining fair benefits may be more difficult than you anticipate. The SSA may reject your claim initially, requiring a high burden of proof for you to obtain SSDI benefits.
Our attorneys are familiar with all of these common challenges and pitfalls. Hire a Social Security Disability lawyer on our team to handle your case after a denial.
Gainesville Social Security Disability Lawyer Near Me 855-780-9986
Our SSD Lawyers Can Help You Seek the Benefits You Need After a Denial
A Social Security Disability lawyer at our firm will:
- Help you understand the reasons for a denial
- Explain your options for seeking reconsideration or submitting a new claim
- Help you collect new supporting evidence to appeal a claim
- Review your paperwork before you send it to the Social Security Administration
- Be by your side for necessary hearings during appeal
- Offer you advice throughout the process
You may be able to appeal certain rulings by the SSA. A decision to reject, reduce, or end your benefits may warrant an appeal. Bogin, Munns & Munns will help you complete and file your appeal as promptly as possible.
Testimonials From Our Past Clients
At Bogin, Munns & Munns, we know that being denied the disability benefits you need can be a frustrating and financially exhausting situation. However, we are prepared to stand beside you. We offer the highest level of client service, and will be responsive to your needs throughout the appeals process.
Consider these reviews from some of our past clients, which speak to our focus on service:
- “Britta Hawkins was amazing! She was thorough, honest, dedicated, compassionate and a bull when need be. She ensured I was getting the care I needed and was a stead-fast liaison. Her assistant, Elizabeth, was also beyond amazing. She was always gracious, kind and highly knowledgeable. They were always there when I had any questions and/or concerns. Phenomenal team! Thank you for all your help!” –Angela L.
- “From the very beginning of my experience with Brigitta Hawkins and her paralegal Elizabeth Quinn it was nothing but kindness and professionalism. For someone with a TBI the time that was taken to help understand the process was invaluable and it was never a problem when I had questions or didn’t understand. It was truly in their hands. The complete extent in preparation of handling a case is truly for the best benefit of their client.” –Terry N.
Click to contact our Gainesville Social Security Disability Lawyers today
Contact Bogin, Munns & Munns for Help With a Social Security Disability Denial
Social Security Disability benefits may be your clearest path to financial relief. However, obtaining fair benefits is not always as easy as it should be. A Social Security Disability lawyer from Bogin, Munns & Munns can help you if your claim was denied in Gainesville.
Reach out to Bogin, Munns & Munns today for a consultation with a member of our team. We are here to help.
Call or text 855-780-9986 or submit our Consultation Request form today