Driving under the influence (DUI) is a serious criminal offense. Florida imposes severe penalties for DUI convictions. If you are hoping to avoid these consequences, you should take action and be proactive with your defense.
A criminal DUI lawyer serving The Villages at Bogin, Munns & Munns can analyze the details of your case to create a defense strategy that works for you. We can fight to have your charges dropped or reduced and protect your future.
What Our Criminal DUI Attorney Serving The Villages Can Do for Your Case
Your criminal defense lawyer serving The Villages can manage all the legal tasks involved in your case. They will:
- Create a defense strategy for you
- Negotiate for a fair case outcome
- Keep you updated about the status of your case
- Investigate and gather evidence to use in your defense
The legal process can be challenging. Our team is prepared to advocate for you throughout your case.
Client Reviews for Our Criminal DUI Attorney Serving The Villages, FL
When you are looking for a criminal DUI attorney to take on your case, look no further than Bogin, Munns & Munns. Check out some of our most recent testimonials left by clients who have appreciated our legal guidance:
- “I was anxious about hiring an attorney as I have never needed one before but I am happy with the decision of hiring Bogin Munns and Munns…It puts my mind at ease knowing that I have such a good team helping me. I recommend them 110%” -Danielle
- “My case manager Ines Salinas and Attorney Aboubakr Maaroufi were absolutely great. They kept me updated as much as possible, did everything they could, had a good attitude and were caring. Definitely recommend to anyone!!!! -Miguel
- “Meeting John Watson and Xena was a great first impression of Bogin, Munns & Munns. John is very down to earth, and has a sharp mind for explaining laws so that anyone can follow along. Xena has been immaculate with answering all of my questions and never missed a beat with each step of my case. I would highly recommend them in a heartbeat!” -Tarsis
To consult with an experienced dui lawyer serving The Villages, call 855-780-9986
When Can You Face a DUI Charge in The Villages?
You can be charged with driving under the influence (DUI) when you are found operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08% or more. In some DUI cases, you might face misdemeanor charges. In others, you could face felony penalties. Ultimately, the details of your case will determine the penalties you face. For example:
Misdemeanor DUI Charges
Generally, you can expect to be charged with a misdemeanor DUI if this is your first, second, or third DUI offense. Typically, as long as someone has not been seriously injured or killed, you may be able to avoid some of the more severe penalties of a conviction.
Felony DUI Charges
Anyone charged with multiple DUIs can expect to face felony-level criminal charges, as explained in Florida Statutes § 316.193. If the alleged victim in your case suffered severe bodily injury or death, you could also expect to be charged at the felony level, even if this is your first DUI arrest.
The Villages DUI Lawyer Near Me 855-780-9986
Penalties of a Criminal DUI in The Villages
The consequences you will face if you are convicted of a criminal DUI in The Villages are often harsh. There are both criminal penalties and collateral consequences you should be prepared to handle.
The severity of a conviction will vary depending on your criminal record, your BAC at the time of your arrest, and whether anyone was seriously injured or killed. Some of the consequences of a DUI conviction include:
First-time offenders might spend a few months in a Florida county jail. However, with subsequent convictions, your jail time will likely increase. Here are the potential incarceration sentences for habitual conviction, according to Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV):
- Second offense: Up to nine months imprisonment
- Third offense: Up to 12 months imprisonment
- Fourth or subsequent offense: Up to five years imprisonment
Anyone convicted of a criminal DUI in The Villages can also expect to be fined, according to Florida Statutes § 316.193. A fine could cost you:
- Up to $1,000 for a first conviction
- As much as $2,000 for a second conviction
- Fines up to $5,000 for a third conviction
- No less than $2,000 for a fourth or subsequent conviction
With certain aggravating factors, such as having a minor in the vehicle or having a BAC of .15% or higher, you could face even more expensive fines.
Suspension or revocation of your driver’s license after a DUI conviction in The Villages is standard. The length of time your license will be suspended can vary depending on how many DUI convictions you have on your record and how high your BAC levels were at the time of your arrest.
Collateral Consequences of a DUI Offense
The collateral consequences of a DUI conviction are undeniable. Some of the ways your life could be turned upside down in The Villages include:
- Reputational damage
- Job loss
- Trouble finding housing
- Disqualification from federal student aid
- Being passed over for job opportunities
- Having a criminal record
- Child custody or visitation problems
Click to contact our The Villages Criminal DUI Lawyers today
What To Do After a DUI Arrest in The Villages
When you get stopped for a suspected DUI in The Villages, you may be left feeling worried and confused about what to do next. It is essential to do everything possible to protect your future and avoid inadvertently helping police gather evidence to be used against you. You should:
Exercise Your Right To Remain Silent
Even though you may be hoping to clear up this matter as soon as possible, you should exercise your right to remain silent. You are under no legal obligation to answer any law enforcement questions.
Police can use anything you say against you at trial. Let law enforcement officers know you are exercising your right to remain silent and say nothing more.
Call Your Criminal DUI Lawyer as Soon as You Can
As soon as you are allowed to make a phone call, reach out to a criminal DUI lawyer for guidance. Your attorney can explain what your next steps might look like and begin working on your defense.
Submit a Consultation Request form today
Contact Our Criminal DUI Team in The Villages for Help Today
Our team can help you prepare a solid defense. We have experience helping clients who have been accused of driving under the influence.
Reach out to a criminal DUI lawyer in The Villages at Bogin, Munns & Munns for help with your case. We offer confidential consultations, during which a member of our team can advise you on your legal options. Call us today.