Few things can cause panic and alarm for a parent like learning that law enforcement officers have detained their underage child. If your family is experiencing this now, a Leesburg juvenile crime lawyer from our team will help you ensure your child is treated fairly. We’ll investigate for you and fight to have your child returned to your family while their case is pending.
Our Bogin, Munns & Munns team will fight hard to ensure your child’s rights are respected and that the state moves their case along quickly. We’ll provide you with ongoing updates and work hard to negotiate plea deals whenever possible so your child and the rest of your family members can start putting their lives back together.
Common Juvenile Crimes in Leesburg
According to Juvenile Justice, Geography, Policy, Practice & Statistics (JJGPS) data, some of the most commonly reported crimes committed by youthful offenders are violent crimes and property crimes.
These can include:
- Disorderly conduct
- Drug crimes
The defense we build for your child and the potential penalties will vary greatly depending on the offense they are charged with. Our goal is always rehabilitation versus incarceration.
In its 2020 Annual Report, the Leesburg Police Department cites its programs and initiatives to discourage youthful offenders. Their non-criminal compliance initiatives can help prevent criminal activity and recidivism. Our law firm can help your family tap into these resources if needed.
Juveniles Have Rights in Leesburg
Underage offenders have rights in Leesburg. Their rights must not be violated at any point. If they are, we can step in to ensure we can leverage these violations and use them to bolster your child’s defense.
According to Florida Statutes § 985, there are specific guidelines that govern:
- How juvenile offenders can be taken into custody
- How long they can be held
- Their right to legal counsel
- How their cases are handled
- The timing of their criminal cases
Our juvenile crimes lawyers are familiar with state and municipal laws and regulations that govern youthful offenders. If your child’s case was mishandled in any way, we will uncover it.
Our investigation is comprehensive, complete, and judgment-free. We’ll fight for your son or daughter by gathering evidence, finding witnesses, and representing them at hearings, in plea sessions, during questioning, and in court.
To consult with an experienced juvenile crime lawyer serving Leesburg, call 855-780-9986
What You Need to Know About Florida’s Juvenile Court System
Once the police have detained your child, their case must go through the steps of the Florida juvenile justice system. This process typically includes:
- DRAI (detention risk assessment instrument) assessment, as explained by the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice
- Awaiting their court date at home or in a secure detention facility
- A detention hearing, during which a judge will determine if they should remain detained (for up to 21 days)
- Formal charges filed by the State Attorney
- Trial (if necessary)
Our legal team will ensure you understand each phase of your child’s case. We can also familiarize you with the key terms and processes you need to know and their role in determining the outcome of your child’s case.
Juvenile Versus Adult Court in Leesburg
Some juvenile cases may be transferred to adult court. Because adult court often subjects defendants to more severe penalties, we will fight hard to keep your child’s case in juvenile court with age-appropriate penalties. Our goal is to ensure your child has the opportunity to recover from a mistake and build a solid future for themselves.
Leesburg Juvenile Crime Lawyer Near Me 855-780-9986
Our Juvenile Crime Lawyer Will Fight for Your Child in Leesburg
At Bogin, Munns & Munns, we believe in second chances and fight hard for your whole family, not just the child we are defending. To ensure they get an effective defense, we can take the following steps on your behalf:
- Clarify the charges your child faces
- Explain the possible penalties of a conviction
- Build a solid defense strategy
- Negotiate a plea bargain, when possible
- Protect your child and family from hefty fines
- Minimize damage to their future background checks
- Fight to seal their juvenile criminal records
- Handle all verbal, written, and virtual communication
We will also attend all court sessions and hearings and even represent your child at trial if we cannot negotiate a favorable plea bargain. Our criminal defense lawyers understand the importance of a fresh start and the effect it can have on your child’s future. We’ll never stop fighting for their today or tomorrow.
See Why You Can Trust Our Criminal Defense Team
When a criminal defense lawyer from our team takes on your child’s case, you get the power and support of our entire team behind your fight for justice. Clients we have represented in the past say the following about us:
- David New: “Andrea is the smartest and most knowledgeable lawyer I’ve met in years. Consistent, completes what she says, and follows [through]…I respect her decisions and respect her knowledge and truthfulness. If you don’t hire Andrea, then you don’t have a champion!!!”
- Simone Aponte: “I’m more than happy with my choice of attorney… Mr. Boomershine made the process as easy and stress-free as possible. The results he was able to produce were better than I had hoped or expected, and I believe he truly cares for his clients.”
When you are ready to fight for justice and your child’s future, our juvenile defense team is prepared to fight by your side.
Click to contact our Leesburg Juvenile Crime Lawyers today
Call for a Juvenile Crime Case Review Today
Has your son or daughter been arrested for a crime in Leesburg? The future can take an unexpected turn in the aftermath of arrest and the possibility of conviction. With a juvenile crime lawyer on your side, we can help you make the best of a tough situation. We’ll also fight hard to ensure your underage child has the chance to start over.
Contact our juvenile criminal defense team at Bogin, Munns & Munns today to start fighting for your child’s future.
Call or text 855-780-9986 or complete our Request a Consultation form