The process for obtaining US citizenship can be long and complex. There are several deadlines to juggle, among other possible pitfalls. A single error can result in your application being denied.
Our team at Bogin, Munns & Munns has years of experience with immigration law cases. A Titusville immigration lawyer working for Bogin, Munns & Munns can help you understand the challenges associated with the immigration application process and assist you in filing the necessary documents and paperwork.
What Are the Routes to Permanent Residency in Titusville, Florida?
There are several routes to citizenship or lawful permanent residency for immigrants in Titusville, Florida. We can help you understand which route makes the most sense for you.
Green Cards, Explained
The term green card is the informal title for the allowance of permanent residency in the United States. Securing a green card is the first step for those interested in becoming citizens of the US, although some seek a green card to simply extend the duration of their stay in the US.
To obtain a green card, you must first determine if you meet eligibility requirements as presented by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS):
- If you have a relative or spouse in the US, you may be eligible.
- If you have employment potential, you may be eligible. These guidelines are broken up into categories, depending on your level of work expertise or talent.
- If you are an asylee or refugee, you may be eligible.
- If you are a victim of trafficking, crime, or abuse, you may be eligible.
This is not an exhaustive list of eligibility guidelines for a green card. Our team at Bogin, Munns & Munns has an in-depth understanding of the green card application process and can support you by determining of your eligibility.
If you are eligible, these are your next steps:
- Fill out Form I-485, also known as the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, alongside necessary documentation and fees.
- The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will review your application and interview you.
- If your application is accepted, your green card will be effective for 10 years.
Other Avenues to Extended Residency
Visas offer another avenue for immigrants to secure extended residency. The U.S. Department of State offers an exhaustive list of these visas. A few common visa types that you may be eligible for include:
- Professional or amateur athletes competing for prize money (Nonimmigrant visa)
- Exchange visitors, like au pairs (Nonimmigrant visa)
- Border Crossing Cards for Mexicans (Nonimmigrant visa)
- Tourism, vacation, or pleasure visitors (Nonimmigrant visa)
- Other immigrant categories, like spousal or employment (Immigrant visa)
There are two kinds of visas, nonimmigrant and immigrant. Notably, the term immigrant visa, which can lead to permanent residency, is often mistakenly used with the term green card. If you find these distinctions confusing, our team can help.
To consult with an experienced immigration lawyer serving Titusville, call 855-686-6752
How do I Become a Citizen of the United States?
There are two routes to citizenship in the US, birthright and naturalization.
Birthright citizenship laws in the US have a long history. Debates around their implementation officially began in the late 1700s. As of 2022, birthright laws apply to anyone born on US soil. Due to the constraints of this path to citizenship, most people seeking citizenship will have to rely on naturalization.
If you are planning to become a citizen of the US, and you were born in another country, you can follow the naturalization route.
As per USCIS guidelines, these are the ten steps to becoming a naturalized US citizen:
- Establish whether you are already a US citizen by birth
- Learn if you are eligible to become a US citizen
- Complete the N-400, Application for Naturalization
- File your N-400 with payment
- If necessary, attend the biometrics appointment
- Complete the interview
- Receive USCIS’ decision on your Form N-400
- Receive a notice to take the Oath of Allegiance
- Take the Oath of Allegiance
- Learn what it means to be a US citizen
Costs of Becoming a US Citizen
Currently, the total fees associated with the naturalization process are $725. There are some cases where these fees can be waived, though. Our team can inform you if this fee waiver applies to your situation.
Titusville Immigration Lawyer Near Me 855-686-6752
How Can a Titusville Immigration Lawyer Assist Me?
There are a few ways our team at Bogin, Munns & Munns can assist you with your visa or citizenship application process. Above all, we can provide you with legal expertise and help you understand what is often a complex process. In addition to this expertise, though, we help you in other ways:
- Help you gather and file the necessary documentation
- Explain to you how US citizenship laws will impact you and your family
- Work in conjunction with your employer sponsor
- Keep you on top of your workload and remind you of impending deadlines
- Help you understand the trade-offs between citizenship and having a green card
- Protect you and your rights as an immigrant
- Defend your case, if needed.
- Offer legal assistance in the case of a deportation threat.
Why Choose a Titusville Immigration Lawyer from Bogin, Munns & Munns?
At Bogin, Munns & Munns, we’ve been working to support immigrants for years now. We recognize what you’re going through and want to help. Positive input from our clients demonstrates our commitment to working hard through the duration of immigration cases:
- “I could not be happier with Justin. He has that perfect combination of razor sharp legal astuteness and genuine compassion. He knows the law so well he can think creatively. He had a complicated case with me. At times I got pretty emotional and he always talked me down, helping keep my eye on the prize, which was winning my case. I always felt he would go the extra mile for me, pulling in other experts as necessary to make the tightest case possible. In the end, the case he made for me was so tight, the judge had no choice but to rule in my favor! We won!!” – Jean
Click to contact our Titusville Immigration Lawyers today
Contact the Law Offices of Bogin, Munns & Munns Today
For immigration cases, we offer a free telephone discussion to learn more about your situation. Don’t hesitate to give our team a call to begin receiving legal support during your Titusville immigration case. We offer support for both English and Spanish speakers.