A brief note for Florida’s individuals, families, and businesses about extensions

extension, file, filing, munns, information, extended, busine, limited, time, liability

This posting is short but useful. As a result of the novel Coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic the two following government-related deadlines have been extended. (Likely there are more, and they will be reported as discovered.)

#1 – The due date for Florida’s business entities (such as for-profit and non-profit corporations, limited liability companies, and reporting partnerships) is extended to June 30, 2020.

Here is the Florida Department of State – Division of Corporation’s announcement about the extension:

Pursuant to Executive Order No. 20-52 and Department of State Emergency Order 2020-01, signed March 27, 2020, the time requirements for business entities to file annual reports are suspended and tolled until June 30, 2020.  Any profit corporation, limited liability company, limited partnership or limited liability limited partnership annual report filing will have until 12:01 am on July 1, 2020, before a $400 late fee is assessed.  (The announcement is actually red. Which means it is important.)  To see the full announcement go to the Division of Corporation’s Annual Report filing page.

Warning: Do not be late with the extended due date. Penalties apply, up to administrative dissolution.

Note to non-Floridian readers (or Floridian businesses which have filed as foreign entities in other states): Check the other states to determine if there are applicable filing annual report/business report/franchise tax (whatever they may be called) extensions.


#2 – The deadline for filing federal tax returns has been extended to July 15, 2020.

Here is the Internal Revenue Service’s announcement about the extension:

Tax Deadline Changed

The deadlines to FILE and PAY federal income taxes are extended to July 15, 2020.

IRS is offering coronavirus relief to taxpayers.

And for more detail:

Need more time to prepare your federal tax return? This page provides information on how to apply for an extension of time to file. Please be aware that:

An extension of time to file your return does not grant you any extension of time to pay your taxes.

You should estimate and pay any owed taxes by your regular deadline to help avoid possible penalties.

You must file your extension request no later than the regular due date of your return.

E-file Your Extension Form for Free

Individual tax filers, regardless of income, can use Free File  to electronically request an automatic tax-filing extension.

  • Filing this form gives you until Oct. 15 to file a return.
  • To get the extension, you must estimate your tax liability on this form and should also pay any amount due.

Get an extension when you make a payment

You can also get an extension by paying all or part of your estimated income tax due and indicate that the payment is for an extension using Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS), or a credit or debit card. This way you won’t have to file a separate extension form and you will receive a confirmation number for your records.

There is a good deal more information, including links to the filing forms, at (which is the source of the information above).

Warning: The general filing extension does not extend the due dates for payments, including for estimated taxes. For details contact your tax attorney or accountant.

For information about Bogin, Munns & Munns’ own response to Coronavirus readiness.  

– For more information, call Philip N. Kabler of the Gainesville, FL office of Bogin, Munns & Munns at 352.332.7688, where he practices in the areas of business, banking, real estate, and equine law. He has taught business and real estate law courses at the University of Florida Warrington College of Business Administration and Levin College of Law and is the President-Elect of the Eighth Judicial Circuit Bar Association.

To consult with an experienced business law lawyer today, call 855-780-9986

NOTICE: The article above is not intended to serve as legal advice, and you should not rely on it as such. It is offered only as general information. You should consult with a duly licensed attorney regarding your Florida legal matter, as every situation is unique. Please know that merely reading this article, subscribing to this blog, or otherwise contacting Bogin, Munns & Munns does not establish an attorney-client relationship with our firm. Should you seek legal representation from Bogin, Munns & Munns, any such representation must first be agreed to by the firm and confirmed in a written agreement.

Call or text 855-780-9986 or submit our Consultation Request form today



Request a Consultation

Request a consultation by filling out the form below, or call us at 855.780.9986. We have over a dozen offices located in Orlando and across Central Florida. We’re happy to answer any of your questions.