Losing your job is a stressful situation, made even more frustrating if your employer had no cause to terminate your employment. While Florida is an at-will state where an employer can fire employees for any reason or no reason at all, some types of terminations are still unlawful.
If you believe you are the victim of wrongful termination in Kissimmee, a wrongful termination lawyer from Bogin, Munns & Munns can seek justice and fair compensation on your behalf. You shouldn’t have to suffer financial hardship because of unlawful termination. We can help you recover what you’ve lost.
What Is Wrongful Termination?
Wrongful termination is when your employer fires you for a reason that is against the law. Per Florida’s wrongful termination laws, several types of termination fall under wrongful termination.
These types include:
- Discrimination: Discrimination on the basis of race, gender, color, disability, pregnancy, age, national origin, marital status, and religion violates Florida law. This law applies to businesses with 15 or more employees.
- Retaliation: Your employer cannot fire you for making a worker’s compensation claim as per Florida Statutes § 440.205, nor for blowing the whistle on illegal activity, reporting sexual harassment, or testifying against your employer.
- Breach of Contract: Your employer cannot terminate you unless they have cause, as long as that’s what your contract states. A violation of your contract could mean your employer has to pay you for the length of the contract.
- Avoiding Payment of Overtime: If your employer fires you because they want to avoid paying you for all of the overtime you have been working, you may have a wrongful termination case as this action violates the Wages and Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Terminating an Employee for Taking Family Leave: Your employer cannot fire you simply for taking family leave for bereavement, sickness, or disability as long as you worked for 12 months and your workplace has 50 employees. Doing so would be a violation of the Family and Medical Leave Act.
Many other wrongful termination examples could apply to your situation. An attorney from our firm can determine if you have a case. If you were wrongfully terminated from your job, we will fight to recover the compensation you deserve and hold your former employer accountable.
To consult with an experienced wrongful termination lawyer serving Kissimmee, call 855-780-9986
A Kissimmee Wrongful Termination Lawyer Can Strengthen Your Case
Hiring a lawyer to represent you provides you with an advocate who will protect your best interests. It also evens the playing field since your employer will likely contest your wrongful termination claim and have a lawyer of their own.
Our firm has decades of experience serving central Florida with attorneys dedicated to all practice areas of the law, including wrongful termination. By hiring a lawyer from our firm, you have a professional on your side who can perform the following tasks:
- Collecting evidence: Your case may feel unprovable, but your lawyer can access records and other forms of evidence, including testimony from former and current employees, prior complaints against your employer, your contract, the employee handbook, performance evaluations, schedules, paychecks, and communications.
- Calculating your losses: We will calculate the value of your losses as we seek a fair settlement or a severance package on your behalf.
- Negotiating a severance package: Your employer may choose to avoid court by offering a severance agreement, which you should have your lawyer review before signing. We can also negotiate a better package for you if the offer is not adequate.
- Filing a lawsuit: Filing a lawsuit is usually a last resort as most cases settle out of court. However, we prepare every case for the possibility of trial and will represent you if necessary.
Taking action against your employer may feel intimidating, but employees have rights that deserve protection. Our law firm is dedicated to fighting for your rights so you can cover your losses and protect yourself and other employees from wrongful termination in the future.
Kissimmee Wrongful Termination Lawyer Near Me 855-780-9986
Damages a Kissimmee Wrongful Termination Lawyer Can Recover
Being wrongfully terminated from your job entitles you to compensation for losses you incur. These losses may include:
- Lost income and benefits: This includes your wages, pay increases, promotions, and bonuses you did not receive due to losing your job.
- Worker’s compensation: You can seek reimbursement of wages and medical expenses if you filed a claim prior to termination.
- Emotional and mental distress: Losing your job is stressful and can result in damage to your emotional and mental well-being.
- Punitive damages: The court could order your employer to pay punitive damages as a penalty for illegally firing you. Punitive damages are rare, but your attorney will talk with you if this is a possibility in your case.
Whatever you have lost as a result of your employer’s illegal termination, we want to include it in your case. We will negotiate for an appropriate financial award that compensates you for these losses and helps you get your financial footing back.
Click to contact our Kissimmee Wrongful Termination Lawyers today
We Will Meet Deadlines to Protect Your Case and Your Compensation
You only have 180 days to file a complaint for discrimination in the workplace or 300 days if the local or state government follows anti-discrimination laws according to the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission (EEOC). You must act quickly after a wrongful termination. If you miss these deadlines your case may be denied.
A lawyer from our firm understands wrongful termination laws, so we can help you file a claim within the deadlines.
Submit a Consultation Request form today
Consult a Wrongful Termination Lawyer in Kissimmee Today
Being out of work due to wrongful termination is a stressful situation made even worse if you feel like there’s nothing you can do about it. Thankfully, you have options. You can fight back. Wrongful termination is against the law, and we are ready to help you pursue compensation and justice for this violation of your rights.
If you believe you have a wrongful termination case, please contact us to schedule a consultation. Our Kissimmee wrongful termination lawyer from Bogin, Munns & Munns will fight to protect your financial future.