Our wrongful death Attorneys have the sensitivity and trial skills to successfully handle any wrongful death case.
Since 1979, we have worked with surviving family members of accident victims. We understand that losing a family member in a fatal accident is devastating. We are dedicated to providing surviving family members with the compensation they deserve. Our Central Florida law firm can file claims on behalf of your relative’s estate and on behalf of the family.
In a wrongful death matter, our attorneys can help you:
- Recover for the loss of a loved one
- Receive compensation for your losses
- Hold the responsible party accountable
- Recover funeral expenses
- Recover loss of income and family support, past and future
- Navigate the estate/probate process
If you have lost a loved one because of an auto/car accident, truck accident, motorcycle accident, bicycle collision, pedestrian accident, boat/watercraft accident, or as the result of any other negligence claim, please call the wrongful death lawyers at Bogin, Munns & Munns.
We are humbled to assist you in the handling of a wrongful death claim due to an accident. We can meet you in the location that is most convenient to you. We have 13 locations with our Main office in Orlando. In Central Florida we have offices including Clermont, Cocoa, Daytona, Kissimmee, Leesburg, Melbourne, Orange City, St. Cloud, Titusville, and The Villages and in North Central Florida Gainesville and Ocala. Our Trial attorneys work aggressively to ensure your case is handled with the care you should expect from a firm that has been around for over 40 years.
Frequently Asked Questions
Motor vehicle accidents, motorcycle crashes and other traumatic incidents can result in horrific injuries and in certain cases even death. When a loved one has been killed by the negligence of another, you can potentially seek compensation for the tragedy and loss you and your family have suffered. In Florida all claims for Wrongful Death are controlled by the Florida Wrongful Death Statute. Florida Law requires that an estate be set up for the deceased person and a personal representative be named. The personal representative can then file the claim on behalf of the estate and any surviving family members who qualify under the Statute. Under Section 768.20 the following people can potentially qualify as surviving family members:
- the deceased person’s spouse;
- the deceased person’s children;
- a deceased person’s parents;
- any blood relatives partly or wholly dependent on the deceased person for support or services;
- any adoptive brothers and sisters partly or wholly dependent on the deceased person for support or services.
It is important to contact an attorney to discuss the creation of the estate and to determine who would qualify under the statute for compensation.
Under Florida Law the damages that can be awarded in a Wrongful Death lawsuit are divided between the estate and the surviving family members.
The deceased person’s estate may recover damages which include:
- lost wages, benefits, and other earnings, including the value of lost earnings that the deceased person could reasonably have been expected to make if he or she had lived
- lost “prospective net accumulations” of the estate, or the value of earnings the estate could reasonably have been expected to collect if the deceased person had lived, and
- medical and funeral expenses that were paid by the estate directly.
Damages that the surviving family members may recover include:
the value of support and services the deceased person had provided to the surviving family member
- loss of companionship, guidance, and protection provided by the deceased person
- mental and emotional pain and suffering due to the loss of a child, and
- medical or funeral expenses any surviving family member has paid for the deceased person.
Florida Law requires that a claim for wrongful death be filed within two (2) years of the date of death. The deadline may be tolled or postponed, under only the most specific of circumstances. It is vitally important that you contact an attorney with experience in Wrongful Death claims to determine when the claim must be filed.
How can We Help
Bogin, Munns & Munns Can Help With Your Wrongful Death Case
Our Experienced personal injury attorneys in Central Florida ensure that our clients have the best legal representation available. If you or someone you know has been involved in a hit & run or a serious accident with a car, truck, motorcycle, boat, or bike and need to speak with a lawyer, please call us to get in touch with one of our experienced auto accident attorneys. Our lawyers have a long history of winning cases regarding medical malpractice, brain & spinal injury, DUI injury, nursing home abuse, premises liability, product liability, and many others. An attorney from our personal injury, wrongful death and auto/car accident department can also help those who have experienced a vicious dog bite or other pet attacks that resulted in an injury or death. When you are unsure how to go about seeking compensation that relates to a vehicle accident, injury, or wrongful death you should contact an attorney at Bogin, Munns & Munns for any legal services or client representation
You may call us any time of day to speak with a personal injury attorney toll free at 855-254-0410 or email us at [email protected]. For more specific information on your legal matter, please browse all of our practice areas.
LET US HELP YOU WITH YOUR CASE
Request a Consultation
Request a consultation by filling out the form below, or call us at 855.686.6752. We have over a dozen offices located in Orlando and across Central Florida. We’re happy to answer any of your questions.