After a DUI accident, you may be entitled to compensation from the other driver. A criminal defense lawyer from our Melbourne, Florida office can calculate your case’s value. We are also ready to negotiate with the insurance company to get you that amount.
Our representation may make the legal process easier for you to understand and navigate. You can use the money you receive to pay for medical care. Your award can also support your family until you get back on your feet.
Seeking Compensation in DUI Accident Cases
What can you be compensated for after a DUI accident? The liable driver may have to pay you damages based on:
Examples of financial hardship, or “economic damages,” include:
- Loss of income, if the injuries left you unable to work or forced you to reduce your working hours on a temporary basis
- Loss of earning capacity, if the injuries have permanently affected your ability to work and support your family
- Medical costs, if you needed emergency surgery, pain medication, physical therapy, home nursing, or any other type of treatment
- Repair costs, if your vehicle was damaged badly enough to require repair or replacement
- Other costs, if you had to hire any outside assistance to help you complete tasks that you previously handled on your own (e.g., mowing the lawn or walking the dog)
Physical and Psychological Damages
Physical and psychological harm are “non-economic damages.” They may include:
- Disability, if you lost (or lost the use of) any body part, or if you sustained a head injury that resulted in an intellectual disability
- Emotional anguish, if you have suffered nightmares, developed a mental illness, or otherwise experienced psychological harm due to the accident
- Reduced quality of life, if your injuries prevent you from living the kind of life you want (e.g., living independently or participating in certain activities)
- Loss of consortium, if your relationship with your spouse has changed for the worse (or ended) due to your injuries
- Scarring, if the accident left you with disfiguring or painful marks that will never fully heal
As stated in Florida Statutes § 95.11(3)(a), you have four years to take legal action against the party who caused your injury. If you miss that deadline, you are no longer eligible for compensation. It is best to start as soon as possible after the accident when preserving your right to damages.
To consult with an experienced dui accident lawyer serving Melbourne, call 855-686-6752
Legal Help and DUI Accident Cases
After an accident, the last thing you want to do is figure out the legal system by yourself. Instead, let a Melbourne-based lawyer from Bogin, Munns & Munns take control of your DUI accident case.
While you focus on recovering from your injuries, we can:
For example, we can get a copy of the police report, visit the accident scene, and solicit statements from eyewitnesses.
Talk to the Liable Party
We can deliver messages between you and the other side. You do not ever have to speak with them yourself. This way, the insurance company does not get the chance to turn your own words against you.
Negotiate with the Insurer
If the insurance company does not want to pay you fairly, we can sit down with them. Our team will fight for what you deserve. If we settle, we could draw up the appropriate paperwork.
Represent You in Court
What if the insurance company will not negotiate? We may be able to go to trial. If that happens, we can take care of everything. You will not have to schedule trial dates or present closing arguments.
We can take care of all necessary paperwork at all stages of your lawsuit. This way, you do not risk making a mistake or submitting something late.
Review Your Case for Free
All callers looking to file a personal injury lawsuit can find out if we can assist them at no cost or obligation.
Be Available to Answer Questions
Feel free to ask us all of the questions you need. We want you to feel comfortable with the legal process and make intelligent decisions.
Offer Compassionate Advice
If you need help deciding where to take your case, rely on us to provide guidance.
Regularly Update You About Your Case
We always alert our clients whenever something big happens in their cases. We can also explain the consequences of each new development.
We work closely with our clients to ensure that they have the smoothest possible experience. If there is anything we can do to make the legal process easier for you, let us know. It is our job to ensure the comfort and satisfaction of our clients.
Melbourne DUI Accident Lawyer Near Me 855-686-6752
Drunk Driving is Against the Law
Driving while intoxicated is defined under Florida Statutes § 316.193 as driving with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 or higher. Driving drunk is not just wrong; it is illegal. Those caught doing so may be fined or sent to jail. These penalties get steeper if the drunk driver causes an accident.
This law ensures that DUI accident survivors and victims receive justice after a crash. What about the expenses associated with treating injuries or laying a loved one to rest? We can help you secure a judgment or settlement to do this.
Proving Your DUI Accident Case
To convince an insurance company or a jury that you deserve damages, you must prove the following:
- The accident occurred.
- The accident caused all of the injuries that you are suing
- The liable party caused the accident (and, therefore, the injuries) by driving under the influence.
There could be several ways to prove these points. For example, we can search for corroborating evidence from as many sources as possible, including:
- Witness statements
- Expert testimony
- Car accident reports
- Medical records
- Video footage
We can utilize cases similar to yours to help us make our argument. WBTW News-13 reported a fatal DUI accident in February 2021. If you lost a loved one in your accident, we could help you file a wrongful death lawsuit.
Click to contact our Melbourne DUI Accident Lawyers today
Get a Free Consultation Today
Bogin, Munns & Munns would like to provide you with a lawyer to represent you throughout your DUI accident case. Contact our Melbourne office at (321) 254-3939 to get started with a free case assessment. We can take your call twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.