The average large truck weighs 20 to 30 times as much as the average passenger car on the road. It is little wonder why truck accidents cause devastating injuries and a high rate of fatalities.
If you or someone you love is injured because of an accident involving a large truck, you may be eligible for compensation for your losses. An attorney at Bogin, Munns & Munns can discuss the details of your case and possibly pursue a settlement on your behalf.
To speak with a member of our team or have us get to work on your case right away, contact Bogin, Munns & Munns today at (321) 633-3208 to learn how a Cocoa truck accident lawyer can help.
Major Contributing Factors in Truck Accidents
There are many factors that can contribute to truck accidents. Some of them are unavoidable, like adverse weather conditions. However, oftentimes the circumstances that lead up to an accident are caused by negligence by one or more parties. Some of these factors include:
Truck drivers are legally allowed to drive up to 11 hours per stretch. Even that period of time makes for a long day, especially if you are tired. However, many drivers push beyond 11 hours to stay on-deadline or reach their destination early. Unfortunately, if truck drivers are drowsy, this puts their own lives and the lives of others at risk, as drowsy drivers cannot react as quickly if they need to slow down or stop.
Large trucks need more time and a greater distance to stop than other passenger vehicles. While sometimes accidents caused by braking distances are unavoidable, like if traffic comes to a rapid stop, on other occasions there might have been time if the driver was giving the road their full attention.
Distracted driving is a problem for all drivers on the road. However, if a truck driver allows themselves to be distracted by a cell phone, eating behind the wheel, changing the radio station, or because they allowed their mind to wander, it can have devastating consequences for others.
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a 2010 study found that of the trucks analyzed that were involved in accidents, almost 55% had at least one mechanical violation. In addition, almost 30% had one condition that was serious enough to have warranted the truck being removed from the road if it had been found prior to the accident. The most frequent problems were braking and lighting system violations. We may be able to hold the trucking manufacturer liable based on the facts of your case.
To consult with an experienced truck accident lawyer serving Cocoa, call 855-686-6752
Injuries Caused by Truck Accidents
There are many injuries that someone could sustain in a truck accident. A few of the most common include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): TBIs can occur if someone receives a blow to the head during an accident. These injuries are often serious and can disrupt normal cognitive function and even change the victim’s personality.
- Broken bones: Broken bones are common in any type of motor vehicle accident because of the force created on impact. These injuries vary in seriousness. Complications can arise if the bone breaks in multiple places or if it breaks through the skin and causes severe bleeding or infection.
- Spinal cord injuries: These injuries are often life-altering for the victim, as most people require wheelchairs and walkers to cope with a loss of mobility after an accident.
- Internal bleeding: Internal bleeding is caused by damage to the internal organs or brain and can rapidly become life-threatening without medical treatment. What is particularly dangerous about this type of injury is that people often do not realize they are bleeding internally until the symptoms become severe.
These are just a few of the possible injuries you could sustain in a truck accident. If you were injured in an accident involving a truck in Cocoa, FL you may be able to hold the negligent parties responsible. For a free review of your case, contact Bogin, Munns & Munns today at (321) 633-3208.
Cocoa Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 855-686-6752
Recoverable Damages After a Truck Accident
Every case is different, so there is no way to estimate the exact damages you may recover after a truck accident. However, some of the types of damages people do recover in cases like these include:
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Disfigurement or dismemberment
- Lost wages
- Future wages if your earning potential is diminished or lost
- Out-of-pocket costs related to your accident
- Property damage
If your loved one died as a result of the accident and seriousness of their injuries, you may be able to recover:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Out-of-pocket costs related to the care of the victim before their death
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Wages and benefits previously provided by the victim
Click to contact our Cocoa Truck Accident Lawyers today
How a Cocoa Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help
We understand that it can be overwhelming to think of taking legal action to recover your losses after an accident, especially if you are still healing from your injuries. However, our team is here to help by taking that burden off your shoulders.
A Cocoa truck accident lawyer can handle your case by:
- Gathering evidence, including police reports, eyewitness statements, and any traffic camera footage
- Obtaining copies of medical reports, doctor’s statements, and expert testimony about how the injuries will impact your life
- Calculating the full value of your case, including the cost of your pain and suffering
- Negotiating with the defendant’s or insurance company’s lawyers to pursue compensation to the fullest extent of your injuries
- Taking your case to trial if we cannot reach a fair settlement out of court
If you are ready to get started or would just like a free case evaluation by a member of our team, contact Bogin, Munns & Munns today at (321) 633-3208. There is no obligation.